Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Cool new studio series on Pandora

Hey, you've read me harping on Pandora and what a great service to music they've done these last couple years or so. And, of course, a Pandora employee is the only person so far to have left a comment for me, so I guess I'm fishing for comments here, but anyways, you have GOT TO check out their new video series on recording studios. So far, I've just seen the Record Plant in Sausalito, Ca docuvideo. You can find it here at http://blog.pandora.com/show/. I hope to see them do more of these as they go on, but I'm not holding out hope that they'll do one on the little Fairhaven College studio where I learned my recording chops. Watching these videos - MAN, how I want to get back into a studio and get a refresher course.
I'll never forget waking up at 5 a.m. on a Monday morning, getting the keys from the college security office and going over and setting up for a good six hours of studio time to mix a project for class. I'd end up spending sometimes up to two hours just mixing down the drums, then usually an hour for every other instrument, including vocals. Then, there'd be time to combine it all together and put it on a DAT. I assure you it's all very different now with computers - I was probably one of the last few classes before computers started to take over studios. I was in that little window between analog and fully computerized - the simply digital era, I guess you can call it, I don't know.

I got an A on that Audio Recording 2 class from my wise instructor Kevin Bressler (who's apparently now working for Seventh Heaven Studios in Everson, Wash.), but I could never find an avenue after my time at Western/Fairhaven to keep up with it and to this day, the long hours spent in the first floor studio out in Fairhaven College is my only time behind a mixing board. Shoulda woulda coulda, right? I have no regrets with my life right now, but I do miss studio time some days. That is all, for now.

1 comment:

Kevin Seal said...

Ah, well here's another one from a Pandora person, but... thank you for the kind words about the video. I was the producer on that series, and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it. It made me want to dive into studio time too. Who knows, maybe the Fairhaven studio is in our future!